Saturday, April 09, 2005

MJ Simpson blasts the movie

Uh oh... This isn't a good sign. MJ Simpson, noted biographer of Douglas Adams, professional journalist, and HUGE name among Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy fans, has just written a scathing review of the movie, based on a preview he saw on March 31. Despite being a huge fan, he (quite liberally) exercises his right to free speech.

"Something, somewhere has gone horribly, horribly wrong with this film. It's not great, it's not even good, frankly it's not even bad. It's awful. It is staggeringly unfunny and almost unrecognisable as Hitchhiker's Guide. I hated it."

And...

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie is bad. Really bad. You just won'tbelieve how vastly, staggeringly, jaw-droppingly bad it is. I mean, you mightthink that The Phantom Menace was a hopelessly misguided attempt to reinvent a much-loved franchise by people who, though well-intentioned, completely failedto understand what made the original popular - but that's just peanuts to theHitchhiker's movie. Listen."

This scares me. Granted, I'm reserving judgement until after I've seen the movie for myself, and I observe the reactions of the non-fan friends that I'll be taking with me before I decide whether or not Disney made the right move in dumbing it down. However, as you might imagine, I'm a bit concerned. Considering his background as a hardcore fan and a journalist, I expected MJ to be a harder critic than most, but wow. I mean, "Wow..." He really blasted the movie.

Note that most of the other reviews were very good, with one that was extremely good (too good to take seriously) and another that was "so-so", but it was based on a trailer, not a screening of the movie, so you can't take that seriously either.

Read short review (No spoilers)
Read long review (Spoilers)
Read list of things missing from the movie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home